SPAM: : Checking for Apache Errors

Paul Weaver paul.weaver at bbc.co.uk
Thu Dec 4 19:09:47 CET 2008

I just ran through a 639,000 line gz compressed apache log file, using
zcat access.log.gz|awk '{print $9}'|sort|uniq -c in 7 seconds

That gives you the return code (404, 302, 200), and the number.
Percenting it is an exercise for the reader, but something like

tac /var/log/apache/access.log|head -10000|awk '{print $9}'|sort|uniq -c

--
There is no time like the present for postponing what you ought to be
doing.

Paul Weaver
Systems Development Engineer
News Production Facilities, BBC News