Monitoring HP Hardware - NRPE/NSCA on Windows

Toussaint OTTAVI t.ottavi at medi.fr
Wed Dec 3 16:03:44 CET 2008

Curtis LaMasters a écrit:
> What is the best method for doing this.  I would prefer to have some
> sort of script that parses information on the remote host on HP
> hardware.  I have found a few that use SNMP but I'm not sure how that
> works with NRPE/NSCA.  For Dell hardware I use check_dell.exe from
> http://www.itefix.no <http://www.itefix.no/>.  Anything similar would
> be great.

Hi,

I tried several scripts based on SNMP, but some of them are not very
accurate/efficient (ie, status remains OK even if you remove a power
supply or a fan, or even if the server does not respond to SNMP at all
!). So the best rule if you use any SNMP-based script is to make some
tests in your real environment before using it :-)

I choosed one, called "GWFL plugins 2.1" (this one also includes tests
for other things than hp). It works fine on all my servers (ML350, 370,
DL360, DL380 all generations). It queries the Insight Agents on the
Proliant server using SNMP. This is completely independant from
NRPE/NSCA. You just have to configure SNMP service on your server
(basically, check the "community string", and check if there are
restrictions on IP addresses allowed). Results are accurate and I would
recommend it.

I also use a script called "check_insight_log.sh". You run it on your
Nagios server, and it queries the Insight Log of your Proliant server
via SNMP. It's useful to see if new things happen in this log, such as
POST errors, ASR, blue screens, messages about RAID status, etc...

I would also recommand "check_ilo2_health.pl" already mentioned by
Christopher, even if  I didn't have time to experiment it thoroughly.

All these available on NagiosExchange.

Hope this helps. Kind regards
--

*Toussaint OTTAVI*