Service dependency didn't work

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Tue Dec 2 15:13:18 CET 2008

I have some network interfaces that I monitor both by SNMP and by ping.
I then define a service dependency such that the ping service depends on
the SNMP service (no sense pinging if SNMP reports the physical layer
down).  Last night, one of these interfaces went down, and I was alerted
for both services, SNMP first and then ping.

Do I have the dependency defined right?

define servicedependency {
	host_name			myrouter
	service_description		if:Network
	dependent_host_name		myrouter
	dependent_service_description	Network ping
	inherits_parent 		1
	execution_failure_criteria	w,u,c
}

Here's what I got in the log:

[12-02-2008 00:41:33] SERVICE ALERT: myrouter;if:Network;CRITICAL;HARD;4;CRITICAL: Interface so-1/2/0.0 (index 437) down due to lower layer being down.
[12-02-2008 00:41:43] SERVICE ALERT: myrouter;Network ping;CRITICAL;HARD;4;CRITICAL - 10.1.96.2: rta nan, lost 100%

Why did I get the second service alert?

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>