SNMP Traps from ProCurve Switches

Allan Clark allanc at chickenandporn.com
Tue Apr 29 19:22:46 CEST 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 10:24 AM, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

> I'm not entirely sure that I want to do this with Nagios.. or that I
> *should* use Nagios to do it, but this seems the best place to start.
>
> My 3.0 install is about a week old, and I'm slowly adding machines to
> it.  My latest category is my collection of about 25 HP ProCurve
> switches of various models.
>
> I gather an impression that these switches can be set to trap out when
> ports change state.  Some ports -- primarily server and device ports,
> obviously -- I care about state changes in all the time, and I'd like
> Nagios to tell me about them.  Other ports -- workstations -- I only
> care when I'm wandering the building, and would like to be able to have
> something tell me which switch and port are at the other end of the
> wire I've just unplugged, or into which I've just plugged my handheld
> tester.
>
> I've done a bit o'Googling, and I'm still doing some more, but has
> anyone done this already, and have suggestions or pointers that might
> do me some good?

I was working on this, I wanted to connect directly rather than layer a lot
of interposing scripts (which are often difficult to repair).  I was trying
to force snmptrapd to "log" to the Nagios command-channel, but snmptrapd
seems to use different formats when logging to stdout compared to logging to
a file.

Anyone else with better luck?

Allan