SNMP Traps from ProCurve Switches

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Apr 29 16:24:16 CEST 2008

I'm not entirely sure that I want to do this with Nagios.. or that I
*should* use Nagios to do it, but this seems the best place to start.

My 3.0 install is about a week old, and I'm slowly adding machines to
it.  My latest category is my collection of about 25 HP ProCurve
switches of various models.

I gather an impression that these switches can be set to trap out when
ports change state.  Some ports -- primarily server and device ports,
obviously -- I care about state changes in all the time, and I'd like
Nagios to tell me about them.  Other ports -- workstations -- I only
care when I'm wandering the building, and would like to be able to have
something tell me which switch and port are at the other end of the
wire I've just unplugged, or into which I've just plugged my handheld
tester.

I've done a bit o'Googling, and I'm still doing some more, but has
anyone done this already, and have suggestions or pointers that might
do me some good?

Do I want to try to use Nagios to solve the larger problem, since I do
want it to solve the smaller one anyway, or do I want to set up some
other scripting that also catches the traps, and run it in parallel?

And does anyone know if those traps include the MAC address of the
rising device, or whether I'm going to have to go poll the MIB?

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
	       -- (Joseph Stalin)