SNMP Traps from ProCurve Switches

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest dermoth at aei.ca
Wed Apr 30 00:38:59 CEST 2008

On 29/04/08 01:22 PM, Allan Clark wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 10:24 AM, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com
> <mailto:jra at baylink.com>> wrote:
>
>     I'm not entirely sure that I want to do this with Nagios.. or that I
>     *should* use Nagios to do it, but this seems the best place to start.
>
>     My 3.0 install is about a week old, and I'm slowly adding machines to
>     it.  My latest category is my collection of about 25 HP ProCurve
>     switches of various models.
>
>     I gather an impression that these switches can be set to trap out when
>     ports change state.  Some ports -- primarily server and device ports,
>     obviously -- I care about state changes in all the time, and I'd like
>     Nagios to tell me about them.  Other ports -- workstations -- I only
>     care when I'm wandering the building, and would like to be able to have
>     something tell me which switch and port are at the other end of the
>     wire I've just unplugged, or into which I've just plugged my handheld
>     tester.
>
>     I've done a bit o'Googling, and I'm still doing some more, but has
>     anyone done this already, and have suggestions or pointers that might
>     do me some good?
>

> I was working on this, I wanted to connect directly rather than layer a
> lot of interposing scripts (which are often difficult to repair).  I was
> trying to force snmptrapd to "log" to the Nagios command-channel, but
> snmptrapd seems to use different formats when logging to stdout compared
> to logging to a file.
>
> Anyone else with better luck?

You will probably want to use SNMPTT (SNMP Trap Translator) as the glue
between snmptrapd and Nagios. Since it can import trap definitions
directly from MIB files most of your work (once it's set up) will be to
import them and acc proper EXEC line where you want to send Nagios alerts.

The EXEC lines in your SNMPTT configs will look like this:

EXEC /usr/local/nagios/libexec/eventhandlers/submit_check_result $r
"Service name" <alert_type> "Message"

Where is <alert_type> the numeric value for the alert (0 OK, 1 WARNING,
etc.) and "Message" can contain SNMPTT variables to give useful details
(ex. port name, new state...)

Another solution would be to try OpsView (A Nagios frontend). I haven't
tried it yet but it looks like it's pretty easy to add traps to Nagios
with it.

Thomas