check_logfiles documentation

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Apr 17 18:33:29 CEST 2008

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 11:33:52AM -0400, Victor Lanza wrote:
> Ok...Before I tackle the issue with Nagios not getting any feedback from
> check_logfiles I decided to test the plugin locally on the host machine.
> However I'm not getting the results I should am expecting.
>
> I execute this at the command line:
>
> Check_logfiles --tag=websphere
> --logfile=/opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/profiles/AppSrv01/logs/rflxappserver1
> /SystemOut.log --criticalpattern="java.lang.Exception: DBPool returned NULL
> connection."
>
> My results are:
>
> OK - no errors or warning|websphere_lines=0 websphere_warnings=0
> websphere_criticals=0 websphere_unknowns=0
>
> However when I check the SystemOut.log, I see the line that contains that
> error. Am I missing something?

You're running this on the monitored machine, not on the console
machine, correct?

If so, then there's some problem with check_logfiles.

Do remember, though, that that comparison is likely to be case
sensitive, and will certainly be sensitive to spacing and pucnctuation.
This is also true of the logfilename itself, come to think of it. It
*looks* as if you copied the error message into the command line, so
that shouldn't be it, but I thought I'd mention it.

Try changing one character in that logfilename to make sure you get the
expected 'I can't find that logfile' error from check_logfiles... and
if not, carefully double check that filename argument (and hang a bug
against check_logfiles; 'I can't find that log file' probably ought to
be an error condition; at least as a different status return
(WARNING - logfile not found).

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.