check_logfiles documentation

Gerhard Lausser Gerhard.Lausser at consol.de
Thu Apr 17 19:34:05 CEST 2008

Hi guys,

i just explained it to Victor in private mail, but this seems to be a FAQ.

> > OK - no errors or warning|websphere_lines=0 websphere_warnings=0
                                              ^^
                                              ^^
.._lines=0 means that _no_ lines were scanned for patterns at all.
Why? First, because check_logfiles only examines lines which were appended
to the logfile since the last run. And second, if you run check_logfiles for
the very first time, it does not start searching from the beginning of the
file. It only initializes itself by positioning at the end-of-file.
This was necessary to avoid alerts caused by very old error messages in the
logfile.

> check_logfiles... and if not, carefully double check that
> filename argument (and hang a bug against check_logfiles; 'I
> can't find that log file' probably ought to be an error
> condition; at least as a different status return (WARNING -
> logfile not found).
This message already exists:
$ check_logfiles --logfile=/var/log/schmarrn.log --criticalpattern=kaas
UNKNOWN - (1 unknown in check_logfiles.protocol-2008-04-17-19-32-10) - could
not find logfile /var/log/schmarrn.log |default_lines=0 default_warnings=0
default_criticals=0 default_unknowns=1

(There is the option "nologfilenocry" which can be set in a
configurationfile. With this option, a missing logfile is silently
tolerated).

Gerhard