dont check service when host down

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 18 18:57:29 CEST 2007

Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> Hari Sekhon wrote:
>>    This sounds like a great candidate for scalability to not check
>> services on downed hosts?
> Not really, because you have to have the resources for checking
> everything when nothing is down too.
No, I meant there is a situation where if you have a reduced retry check
interval, it would take more resources
for unnecessary checks since you are checking them more often. The
solution to that is either not have an increased check interval and
therefore
not be alerted as quickly when things recover, or be able to suffer the
increased load if too many hosts are unreachable for any reason.

Personally, if a service has a problem like it's down, I usually always
prefer to have it checked more frequently so I can see when it comes back up
more quickly, especially if I am fiddling with stuff and have another
nagios screen up as well. If the service recovers but is still red and
you are fiddling,
it's possible you may tread on it thinking it's still broken.

> For now it's impossible though, as nagios
> doesn't know it should check the host until one of its services change
> state.
Service Check --> fail --> Host Check --> fail --> No further service
checks --> Host check loop until up --> Service checks as normal

yes so the first service to fail would indicate that the host should be
checked, then if the host is down, then there is no point in
further service checks since there can't be any services on a downed host...

I think this is best left as a config option to the admin...

>> Could we make this a feature request?
> I think you just did, and I think I just shot it down for nagios 2.x.

To be fair, I wasn't asking for this for Nagios 2.x. Nagios 3.x is the
development branch, is it not?

Also I still think it's a good idea, since there is no point in wasting
resources sending out checks for things
that can't answer by definition...

I can't see the harm in this feature, only good in that it saves some
service checks when the host(s) are down.

-h

--
Hari Sekhon