dont check service when host down

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Sep 18 19:58:28 CEST 2007

My reading of the code in base/checks.c (SECTION B3) is that if the host
check returns non-OK, the service is immediately put into a hard state
and no further retries are attempted. Nagios would then fall back to the
normal_check_interval for the service check. Beyond the fact that
services on down hosts are still checked, your scenario WRT
retry_check_interval doesn't appear to happen.

> Personally, if a service has a problem like it's down, I usually
always
> prefer to have it checked more frequently so I can see when it comes
back
> up
> more quickly, especially if I am fiddling with stuff and have another
> nagios screen up as well. If the service recovers but is still red and
> you are fiddling,
> it's possible you may tread on it thinking it's still broken.

Just for clarification, as long as you're within max_check_attempts for
your service, then nagios operates with your more frequent check
interval. As soon as you reach max_check_attempts or your host check
returns a non-OK state, the service falls back to normal_check_interval.

--
Marc