dont check service when host down

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Sep 18 17:28:32 CEST 2007

Hari Sekhon wrote:
> Ton,
>
>    This sounds like a great candidate for scalability to not check
> services on downed hosts?

Not really, because you have to have the resources for checking
everything when nothing is down too.

If you want scalability, see how google built their database.

> On a large installation with several hosts down, if the service check
> intervals for broken services increases (as I usually configure it to
> do) then this could degrade the nagios server. You would be forced to
> not have increased service check intervals for downed services.
>
> It would be best if nagios actually did allow configuration of an option
> to not check services for downed hosts. I'm not sure if this should be
> done on a global or host basis though, host/host template is most
> flexible I think.

With nagios 3 it should be possible to do this, as it supports running
hostchecks in parallell. For now it's impossible though, as nagios
doesn't know it should check the host until one of its services change
state. Scheduling non-parallell hostchecks whenever a host goes down
would seriously degrade performance.

> Could we make this a feature request?

I think you just did, and I think I just shot it down for nagios 2.x.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se