dont check service when host down

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 20 10:03:14 CEST 2007

You should send email or at least CC to the
Nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net so that everyone else can read your
email posting.

I think that we have discussed the issue enough and it is not a huge
problem. After max check attempts which is configurable, the scheduled
checking of services will be carried out at the same interval as normal
and this means that the load on the monitoring server would remain
constant.

I still think that it would be a nice feature to allow this to be set by
the nagios administrator depending on his/her preference and environment
but the developer time is limited and there are much better performance
related improvements for them to do first.

The "fix it yourself and submit a patch" is a bit offputting, especially
as most admins are not developers and I'd need to brush up on my C to do
this, but
they are also right, community help is good,and while I don't have time
at the moment, if this isn't done in 6 months then perhaps I'll try and find
time to do it.

Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it too much, as noted above, it's not
a real performance problem and there are bigger performance savings to
be made
elsewhere first.

-h

Hari Sekhon