changing contents of email alerts

Roger Roger at NagiosWiki.com
Fri Oct 19 22:45:11 CEST 2007

On 10/19/07, Roger <Roger at nagioswiki.com> wrote:
> Perfect, thanks!
>
> I see it here:
>
> /usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios 2.9 *****\n\nNotification Type:
> $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\nHost: $HOSTNAME$\nState: $HOSTSTATE$\nAddress:
> $HOSTADDRESS$\nInfo: $HOSTOUTPUT$\n\nDate/Time: $LONGDATETIME$\n" |
> /bin/mail -s "Host $HOSTSTATE$ alert for $HOSTNAME$!" $CONTACTEMAIL$

Eventually, I will probably have to temporarily modify (i.e. redefine)
some of these variables (via another PHP program).

I looked through this doc

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/macros.html

and couldn't quite understand where exactly these variables "lived".

Is there a sort of API or something that I might use to, say,
temporarily change the contact user?