service dependency question

Ivan Fetch ifetch at du.edu
Thu Oct 4 16:54:27 CEST 2007

Hi Paul,

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007, Paul Dugas wrote:

> I have a hostgroup defined for my application database servers.  I have
> a service defined for the group that checks the database server process
> itself.  I have additional services defined for the group that check the
> space used and other validity tests in our various databases.  I'd like
> to setup service dependencies so the individual database checks don't
> happen when the main service isn't there.  Is there a way to avoid
> having to enter all the service dependencies individually?  With a dozen
> hosts and half a dozen databases on each one, it's getting ugly and
> error prone.
>
> Paul

    I asked a simelar question about services which use SSH to run plugins
on remote hosts, depending on a check for SSH.  Here is that thread so
far:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=20071002123309.L30065%40tnetnzry.hgf.qh.rqh&forum_name=nagios-users

    The one addition I have to this topic, is the possibility of using a
script to automate the creation of individual service dependencies, given
a set of hosts and services which you want to depend on your database
process.  This is also something I'm looking into, I know others are using
something like this.

Thanks,

Ivan.