max_check_attempts not working for me

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Thu Nov 29 00:59:33 CET 2007

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007, Marc Powell wrote:

> > Here is the template I am using:
> >
> > define service{
> > 	name				service-template	; The
> 'name' of this
>
> <chop>
> >         is_volatile                     0
> >         check_period                    24x7
> >         max_check_attempts              3
> >         normal_check_interval           5
> >         retry_check_interval            1
>
> Assuming this is the template that you have applied to the service in
> question and you don't override any of the relevant values in your
> service definition, this should do nearly what you want (it'd be about 3
> minutes before notification actually). This is a common configuration
> and I'm not aware of any bugs related to it ever appearing. Are you sure
> nagios was restarted after applying this configuration? That you only
> have one daemon process running? Are you sure that nagios is reading
> this file? Are you sure that this template is applied to your services
> in question? Are you sure that it's a service notification that you're
> receiving and not a host notification?

This is the template we have used for a long time (probably with those
same settings and over a hundred nagios restarts). I also have similar for
my host template (but it is "max_check_attempts 5").

You mention "3 minutes" above,  but I don't see any indication that it is
checked multiple times before the notification.

What types of logs would I see if it checked but not notifying yet because
still max_check_attempts-1 to do?

When I watch my logs I only see one indication of the "SERVICE
ALERT:...CRITICAL;HARD" and then immediately (same second) followed by the
corresponding "SERVICE NOTIFICATION"s.
\
Also when I previously setup debugging for nrpe, I didn't see them checked
multiple times (every minute) on failures. But I may try that again.