max_check_attempts not working for me

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Nov 28 23:54:49 CET 2007

'name' of this

<chop>
>         is_volatile                     0
>         check_period                    24x7
>         max_check_attempts              3
>         normal_check_interval           5
>         retry_check_interval            1

Assuming this is the template that you have applied to the service in
question and you don't override any of the relevant values in your
service definition, this should do nearly what you want (it'd be about 3
minutes before notification actually). This is a common configuration
and I'm not aware of any bugs related to it ever appearing. Are you sure
nagios was restarted after applying this configuration? That you only
have one daemon process running? Are you sure that nagios is reading
this file? Are you sure that this template is applied to your services
in question? Are you sure that it's a service notification that you're
receiving and not a host notification?

--
Marc