max_check_attempts not working for me

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Wed Nov 28 22:15:55 CET 2007

I have templates that define max_check_attempts as 3 and others as 5 with
retry_check_interval as 1 (my interval_length is 60).

But I never see any indication that the failures are retried at all before
I receive a notification.

I get a service notification on the first CRITICAL failure which
becomes immediately HARD.

I set:

log_service_retries=1
log_host_retries=1

But I don't get any logging about any retries.

How can I troubleshoot why my max_check_attempts doesn't work?

I want it to not do any notification on first failure. I want it to retry
the failed service in approximately one minute. And only then notify if it
fails again.

This is on Nagios 2.8.

Here is the template I am using:

define service{
	name				service-template	; The 'name' of this service template, referenced in other service definitions
	active_checks_enabled		1	; Active service checks are enabled
	passive_checks_enabled		1	; Passive service checks are enabled/accepted
	parallelize_check		1	; Active service checks should be parallelized (disabling this can lead to major performance problems)
	obsess_over_service		1	; We should obsess over this service (if necessary)
	check_freshness			0	; Default is to NOT check service 'freshness'
	notifications_enabled		1	; Service notifications are enabled
	event_handler_enabled		1	; Service event handler is enabled
	flap_detection_enabled		1	; Flap detection is enabled
	process_perf_data		1	; Process performance data
	retain_status_information	1	; Retain status information across program restarts
	retain_nonstatus_information	1	; Retain non-status information across program restarts

        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  noc-admins
        notification_interval           0	; disable recurring notifications
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            w,u,c,r

	register			0	; DONT REGISTER THIS DEFINITION - ITS NOT A REAL SERVICE, JUST A TEMPLATE!
	}