Plugin for monitoring FreeBSD for updates (like check_apt)?

Matthias Kellermann mkellermann at net-com.de
Wed Nov 14 15:05:04 CET 2007

Hi list,

I've made some progress with a Nagios Plugin for the FreeBSD Ports.

It's called check_ports for now and the first version can be found here:
http://dl.adminlife.net/check_ports

Please don't blame me for my coding style - I'm not a shell hacker ;)

The plugin does the following:
If you start it without a parameter it will check the host system for
updates via pkg_version and security problems via portaudit (if it exists).
If you start it with the name of a jail as parameter it will check the
jail for updates and security problems. This is done via jexec so you
need sudo installed if you call the Nagios plugin with an unprivileged
user.

Some problems still exist:
- sometimes there is an plugin timeout in Nagios, because calling
pkg_version can be time consuming
- it is not the best idea to give an unprivileged superuser access to
jexec without password

The plugin works for me at the moment. Hope it will work for you, too. I
would be happy if you have any suggestions or improvements.

Matthias