Plugin for monitoring FreeBSD for updates (like check_apt)?

Matthias Kellermann mkellermann at net-com.de
Tue Nov 13 17:27:38 CET 2007

Brian A. Seklecki schrieb:
> On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 16:42 +0100, Matthias Kellermann wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> anyone knows of a Nagios plugin to check the FreeBSD ports and base
>> system for updates? I'm searching for something like check_apt for
>> Debian/Ubuntu.
>
> All that you need to do is exec portaudit and trap the output.  However,
> mapping this into warn/crit status will get tricky.
>
> Most big shops have software release engineer processes that prevent
> them from, as a NetBSD friend of mine calls it, "implementing massive
> rolling in-place binary upgrades".
>
> In the hope that security will somehow be derived from that (Linux
> credo, I suppose).  I like the idea ether way.  Let me know if you need
> help testing/coding.
>
> ~BAS
>
> $ pkg_version -vL "="
>  apache-2.2.4_2               <   needs updating (port has 2.2.6_2)
>  apr-nothr-db4-1.0.1_1        <   needs updating (port has 1.2.8_2)
>  arj-3.10.22                  <   needs updating (port has 3.10.22_1)
>  autoconf-2.59_3              <   needs updating (port has 2.61_2)
>  autoconf-wrapper-20070404    <   needs updating (port has 20071109)
>
> $ sudo portaudit
>  Affected package: perl-5.8.8
>  Type of problem: perl -- regular expressions unicode data buffer
>  overflow. Reference:   <http://www.FreeBSD.org/ ...
>
>  Affected package: nagios-plugins-1.4.9,1
>  Type of problem: nagios-plugins -- Long Location Header Buffer
>  Overflow Vulnerability.
>
> ~BAS

Thanks for your answer Brian.

I've found ports-mgmt/jailaudit in the Ports. Seems quite useful yet.
I'll see how this tool can help on monitoring the installed ports for
security holes.

Monitoring the jails for updates should work with pkg_version -vL "="

I'll let you know if I've made something useful.

Matthias