Plugin for monitoring FreeBSD for updates (like check_apt)?

Brian A. Seklecki lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org
Tue Nov 13 16:19:31 CET 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 16:42 +0100, Matthias Kellermann wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> anyone knows of a Nagios plugin to check the FreeBSD ports and base
> system for updates? I'm searching for something like check_apt for
> Debian/Ubuntu.

All that you need to do is exec portaudit and trap the output.  However,
mapping this into warn/crit status will get tricky.

Most big shops have software release engineer processes that prevent
them from, as a NetBSD friend of mine calls it, "implementing massive
rolling in-place binary upgrades".

In the hope that security will somehow be derived from that (Linux
credo, I suppose).  I like the idea ether way.  Let me know if you need
help testing/coding.

~BAS

$ pkg_version -vL "="
 apache-2.2.4_2               <   needs updating (port has 2.2.6_2)
 apr-nothr-db4-1.0.1_1        <   needs updating (port has 1.2.8_2)
 arj-3.10.22                  <   needs updating (port has 3.10.22_1)
 autoconf-2.59_3              <   needs updating (port has 2.61_2)
 autoconf-wrapper-20070404    <   needs updating (port has 20071109)

$ sudo portaudit
 Affected package: perl-5.8.8
 Type of problem: perl -- regular expressions unicode data buffer
 overflow. Reference:   <http://www.FreeBSD.org/ ...

 Affected package: nagios-plugins-1.4.9,1
 Type of problem: nagios-plugins -- Long Location Header Buffer
 Overflow Vulnerability.

~BAS