Specifying a service on a different hostwithsend_nsca

Arno Lehmann al at its-lehmann.de
Mon Nov 5 21:08:12 CET 2007

Hi,

05.11.2007 20:34,, Mohr James wrote::
>>> Therefore, we would like to be able to specify the actual
>>> host
>>> name when using send_nsca. Is this possible? Is there a
>>> newer version
>>> where this is possible?
>> You must specify the host_name with any version of send_nsca
>> that I am aware of as part of the check result data you send
>> back to the nagios server. You just seem to have it hard
>> coded to be a specific host for all results --
>>
>> $ send_nsca --help
>>
>> Usage: ../bin/send_nsca <host_address> [-p port] [-to to_sec]
>> [-d delim] [-c config_file]
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Note:
>> This utility is used to send passive service check results to
>> the NSCA daemon.
>> Servce check data that is to be sent to the NSCA daemon is
>> read from standard input. Service check information is in the
>> following format (tab-delimited unless overriden with -d
>> command line argument, one entry per line):
>>
>> <host_name>[tab]<svc_description>[tab]<return_code>[tab]<plugi
>> n_output>[
>> newline]
>>

>> ^^^ it's this last bit that you need to modify to send the
>> correct host name. Be aware that nagios will reject
>> submissions for hosts/services that it doesn't know about so
>> you almost certainly need to do some config re-writing to
>> make it work.
>>
>> --
>> Marc
>

> As far as I can tell from the online help and other documentation, "host_name" is the host to which you want to send the message. That is, it is the NSCA server and not the name of the host that is actually being monitored. When I run "send_nsca --help" on my machine it gives me much more text, and says:
>
> <snip>
>  <host_address> = The IP address of the host running the NSCA daemon
> <snip>
>
> This, as well as my tests, indicate to me that with this parameter one is simply telling send_ncsa where to send the message and not the host which the service is on.

I disagree. I'm getting lots of service checks for different hosts,
all being submitted by send_nsca on localhost. I.e.
'echo $SUBMITTED_RESULT | send_nsca 127.0.0.1 -p ... -c ...' with
SUBMITTED_RESULT being lines containing different host names as first
fields.

In other words, host_address on the command line is definitely
different to host_name in the actual results you submit.

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann