Specifying a service on a different hostwithsend_nsca

Patrick Morris patrick.morris at hp.com
Mon Nov 5 21:08:19 CET 2007

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007, Mohr James wrote:

> As far as I can tell from the online help and other documentation, "host_name" is the host to which you want to send the message. That is, it is the NSCA server and not the name of the host that is actually being monitored. When I run "send_nsca --help" on my machine it gives me much more text, and says:
>
> <snip>
>  <host_address> = The IP address of the host running the NSCA daemon
> <snip>
>
> This, as well as my tests, indicate to me that with this parameter one is simply telling send_ncsa where to send the message and not the host which the service is on.

You're misreading the help.

"<host_address>" appears in the NSCA commend line, not in the data you
pass to NSCA.  Note the difference in the names for the parameters;
specifically where "<host_address>" is used, and where "<host_name>" is
used.

"<host_name>" is, as was mentioned earlier, the name of the host to
which the check results apply, and *not* the NSCA server.