requirements to use check_oracle in my nagios server

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Mon May 28 21:14:15 CEST 2007

On 27/05/07, Luis Gardea <gardealuis at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have Oracle client installed and configured.  In my CLI's oracle
> user, works very well, but when a put in my  Nagios GUI with user and
> group NAGIOS a recived this messages
>
> with user oracle
>
> [oracle at nagiosv2 libexec]$ ./check_oracle --tns x.x.x.x
> OK - reply time 0 msec from x.x.x.x
>
> with user nagios
> [nagios at nagiosv2 libexec]$ ./check_oracle --tns x.x.x.x
> Cannot determine ORACLE_HOME for sid x.x.x.x

It's been a while since I installed the Oracle client so I'm very
rusty.  I think you'll find a script somewhere like /etc/oracle which
sets the relevant environment variables for you.  The .profile for
user oracle might give you a clue.

> I exported that
>
> [nagios at nagiosv2 libexec]$ export ORACLE_BASE="/home/oracle/oracle"
>
> [nagios at nagiosv2 libexec]$ export
> ORACLE_HOME="/home/oracle/oracle/product/10.2.0/client_3"
>
> [nagios at nagiosv2 libexec]$ export
> PATH=$PATH":/home/oracle/oracle/product/10.2.0/client_3/bin"
>

> but when I put
>
> [nagios at nagiosv2 libexec]$ tnsping ntweb
> -bash: tnsping: command not found

Find out where the tnsping executable is:

(as root)
find / -name tnsping

Then (as the nagios user) see if your PATH variable points to the
location of tnsping:

echo $PATH