requirements to use check_oracle in my nagios server

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Tue May 15 20:45:57 CEST 2007

On 15/05/07, Luis Gardea <gardealuis at gmail.com> wrote:
> HI
>

> I need know, what are the requirements to use check_oracle in my
> nagios server. I guess so that I must install the oracle client for
> linux.

You need an Oracle client installed and configured to be able to
access your databases.  Last time I looked, the Oracle Instant Client
(or whatever it's called, the lightweight one) didn't include tnsping
which is required by the plugin.  You probably need to install the
full Oracle client.  It's been a while since I worked with Oracle so
forgive me if I get the names slightly wrong and for all I know Oracle
may have changed the spec of what you get with the client now.

Wolfgang Barth's book published by NoStarch Press has a section with
an example showing how to  monitor Oracle using the instant client.

If you have quite a few checks to run, I would put the plugin on the
Oracle server (which presumably already has the client) and use a
script with send_nsca to send passive results back to Nagios.

hth,

Jim