Upgrading 1.2

Morris, Patrick patrick.morris at hp.com
Thu May 24 16:37:35 CEST 2007

> We have a 1.2 installation that monitors about 100 Fedora
> servers, all of which run nrpe and the usual plugins.
> There's also a mtrg installation lurking around that's
> plugged in to Nagios.
>
> We are considering upgrading. The goal is of the upgrade is
> better performance, but the features of 2.x would be an added
> bonus. Does anyone here have experience or advice on this?
> Can we expect an appreciable performance increase (in other
> words, is it worth it?)

If nobody thought it was worth it, development could have stopped at
1.2. :)

>  Assuming that it is, I could sure use some pointers on the
> upgrade itself. Can we (should we) consider upgrading to 2.9?
> What kind of issues are we likely to face? Is it necessary to
> upgrade in steps? If someone had suggestions or even just a
> referral to the appropriate docs, it would be greatly appreciated.

It's a pretty straightforward process, but be sure to look at the
changelogs. Some things have changed, like some of the macros.  You can
also search the archives here, since the "should I upgrade and how do I
do it" question seems to pup up at least every couple of weeks or so.