Fwd: host-down notification can take 50 mins to be sent

stucky stucky101 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 20:19:38 CEST 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: stucky <stucky101 at gmail.com>
Date: Jun 15, 2007 11:17 AM
Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] host-down notification can take 50 mins to be
sent
To: Jim Avery <jim at jimavery.me.uk>

Jim

I'm confused

1. Nagios 2.9 comes with flapping turned off globally by default :

# Values: 1 = enable flap detection
#         0 = disable flap detection (default)

enable_flap_detection=0

2. It also comes with check_for_orphaned_services=1

3. Most importantly it comes with a localhost.cfg file that has 2 nested
host templates from the start.

One called 'generic-host' and one called 'linux-server' which uses
'generic-host'
Then it has a host description that uses 'linux-host' so we have 3 levels of
recursion right from the start.
It does the same thing with service templates.

I assume you must not have looked at the defaults at all or just changed it
back to just one template.
I never used more than one before either but since the default configs
suggest it I figured it'd be ok.

Anyone else here uses object inheritance with multi-level recursion ?

On 6/15/07, Jim Avery <jim at jimavery.me.uk> wrote:

> On 15/06/07, stucky <stucky101 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Actually, flapping is turned off globally in nagios.cfg and although
> it's
> > still turned on in the host template it shouldn't matter right ?
>
> No, my understanding is that the global setting overrides everything
> else (I've never turned it off globally myself though).
>
> > I turned it off here as well.
>
> Might as well.
>
> > 1. How can a host be flapping if it's down ?
>
> Flapping can be detected on any change of state down-up or up-down.
> How it works is documented here:
> http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/toc.html (look under advanced
> topics).  Anyway, from what you're saying, it sounds like flapping
> isn't your problem.
>
> > 2. Are most of you guys on here using flap detection and has it been
> causing
> > this kind of problem for anyone ?
>
> Well I do, obviously.  I guess lots of others do as it is important in
> preventing getting storms of notifications if a host or service is
> flapping.  If you don't have the f notification option, it can
> sometimes be confusing to see the notification that a service has gone
> down, but not get one to show it's come up again.
>
> One problem with having flap notifications is that Nagios might detect
> that the host or service has stopped flapping at any odd hour - if
> your notifications are going to an on-call pager for example you can
> end up waking up your on-call engineer unnecessarily.  As ever it's up
> to you to decide what your priorities are.
>
> > 3. If it was flapping shouldn't I have seen this in the log?
>
> Yes.  You'll see it in the alert history for that host (or service).
>
> Another thing to try when you get this kind of behaviour is to set
> check_for_orphaned_services to 1 in the main nagios config file.
>
> I've never tried having a template use another template.  I'm not
> saying it shouldn't work, it's just not something I would feel
> comfortable doing.  I'd be interested to hear a definitive answer as
> to whether that's a good thing to do or not myself as it would come in
> handy sometimes.
>
> cheers,
>
> Jim

> reporting any issue.