host-down notification can take 50 mins to be sent

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Fri Jun 15 19:59:50 CEST 2007

On 15/06/07, stucky <stucky101 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually, flapping is turned off globally in nagios.cfg and although it's
> still turned on in the host template it shouldn't matter right ?

No, my understanding is that the global setting overrides everything
else (I've never turned it off globally myself though).

> I turned it off here as well.

Might as well.

> 1. How can a host be flapping if it's down ?

Flapping can be detected on any change of state down-up or up-down.
How it works is documented here:
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/toc.html (look under advanced
topics).  Anyway, from what you're saying, it sounds like flapping
isn't your problem.

> 2. Are most of you guys on here using flap detection and has it been causing
> this kind of problem for anyone ?

Well I do, obviously.  I guess lots of others do as it is important in
preventing getting storms of notifications if a host or service is
flapping.  If you don't have the f notification option, it can
sometimes be confusing to see the notification that a service has gone
down, but not get one to show it's come up again.

One problem with having flap notifications is that Nagios might detect
that the host or service has stopped flapping at any odd hour - if
your notifications are going to an on-call pager for example you can
end up waking up your on-call engineer unnecessarily.  As ever it's up
to you to decide what your priorities are.

> 3. If it was flapping shouldn't I have seen this in the log?

Yes.  You'll see it in the alert history for that host (or service).

Another thing to try when you get this kind of behaviour is to set
check_for_orphaned_services to 1 in the main nagios config file.

I've never tried having a template use another template.  I'm not
saying it shouldn't work, it's just not something I would feel
comfortable doing.  I'd be interested to hear a definitive answer as
to whether that's a good thing to do or not myself as it would come in
handy sometimes.

cheers,

Jim