host-down notification can take 50 mins to be sent

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Fri Jun 15 20:51:01 CEST 2007

On 15/06/07, stucky <stucky101 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Jim
>
> I'm confused
>
> 1. Nagios 2.9 comes with flapping turned off globally by default :
>
> # Values: 1 = enable flap detection
> #         0 = disable flap detection (default)
>
> enable_flap_detection=0
>
> 2. It also comes with check_for_orphaned_services=1
>
> 3. Most importantly it comes with a localhost.cfg file that has 2 nested
> host templates from the start.
>
> One called 'generic-host' and one called 'linux-server' which uses
> 'generic-host'
> Then it has a host description that uses 'linux-host' so we have 3 levels of
> recursion right from the start.
> It does the same thing with service templates.
>
> I assume you must not have looked at the defaults at all or just changed it
> back to just one template.
> I never used more than one before either but since the default configs
> suggest it I figured it'd be ok.

I confess I don't use Nagios 2.9 yet.  Maybe it's time I should!

I'm hoping to buy a new server for Nagios soon, as the old one is
creaking under the strain of all the active checks and rrd databases.
When that arrives I'll drag myself back up to the cutting edge.  I
haven't looked at the defaults for 18 months or so.

cheers,

Jim