Notification Issues.

Patrick Morris patrick.morris at hp.com
Mon Jul 16 21:04:38 CEST 2007

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007, Lacayo, Luis F wrote:

> Hope all is well with all of you, I have a problem that someone might be able to help.  I am running Nagios 2.7 on RHES 4.0.
>
> My problem is that I have several contact groups,  and a wrong group is receiving the notifications.  I have looked at the host setup, the service setup and the templates, they all look like they are set up correctly.   AM I missing something here?
>
> define service{
>         use                             ping-service
>         host_name                       co-csm01
>         service_description             REAL-10.129.210.69 XXXMAIL
>         contact_groups                  wan
>         check_command                   check_slbrealstate!2.7.67.80.83.77.65.73.76.10.129.210.69.0!10.129.210.69!10.129.1.1
> }
>
> define host{
>         use                     core-server
>         host_name               co-csm01
>         alias                     Cisco Load Balancer
>         address                 10.129.208.4
> #       parents                 co6509-1 co6509-2
>         }
>
> define service{
>         name                            ping-service
>         is_volatile                     0
>         check_period                    24x7
>         max_check_attempts              3
>         normal_check_interval           10
>         retry_check_interval            2
>         notification_interval           120
>         notification_period             24x7
>         notification_options            c,r
>         active_checks_enabled           1
>         passive_checks_enabled          1
>         parallelize_check               1
>         obsess_over_service             0
>         check_freshness                 1
>         notifications_enabled           1
>         event_handler_enabled           1
>         flap_detection_enabled          1
>         process_perf_data               1
>         retain_status_information       1
>         retain_nonstatus_information    1
>         register                        0
>         }

Yep, you're right. Based on that config, only the wan group would
receive notifications. Whatever's causing it isn't in this part of the
config.

Assuming that this really is the current config, and your running Nagios
isn't using something else (with is always worth a restart to verify),
I'd check the "wan" group to make sure it's not inheriting something
from another group, and that there are no escalations active for this
service that might be kicking in.