Suggestions needed for VMWare Guest OS'es

Esben Bach esben at cs.aau.dk
Mon Jul 16 15:24:28 CEST 2007

Hi All

As we are currently consolidating hosts to VMWare i need some way to
define reasonable parent/child relations ships in Nagios as well as
defining host dependencies. I have the ESX servers monitored in nagios,
however i can never be sure which of the servers a particular Guest OS
is running on so i can hardly use the ESX servers as parents for my
guest OS's. The only option i can think of is to consider each Guest OS
as a real machine and have the parent be the switch to which it is
connected (just as i would otherwise). Anyone who has experience with
such a setup (or similiar) and the pros or cons, or perhaps alternative
setup suggestions.

Any response is appreciated, thanks in advance.

--
Esben <esben at cs.aau.dki>
Aalborg University Denmark