Suggestions needed for VMWare Guest OS'es

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Jul 18 07:40:04 CEST 2007

> As we are currently consolidating hosts to VMWare i need some way to
> define reasonable parent/child relations ships in Nagios as well as
> defining host dependencies.

This is a really awkward one.

What we do here is to first define the guests as individual hosts for
monitoring, although we don't monitor CPU or Memory on them as the
standard plugins don't give meaningful data under vmware.

Next we're using the check_esx2 plugin on the servers in the farm which
will alert for excessing virtual CPU, Ready, and Memory usage.

Finally, we run a script regularly (daily) which probes the vmware
server and reconfigured the parent/child relationships for the vhosts vs
the esx servers.  Not ideal - particularly when you have automigration
enabled - but better than nothing.

Now we're going to ESX3 I'm considering defining a dummy object in
Nagios for the whole ESX farm.  The guests become children of the ESX
Farm object, and the ESX farm object is a child of *all* the ESX
servers.  The ESX farm host check is defined using check_summary over
the ESX servers, and contains another check_summary check for its only
service, although it could also hold the SNMP traps from the
VirtualCentre server (we have this as a separate Nagios object).  This
setup will make more sense under ESX3, there the VC can automatically
restart a guest on a new ESX server if the ESX server currently hosting
it goes down.

Steve