useful oracle checks

Phil Costelloe philc at foundation-it.com
Mon Feb 26 17:53:25 CET 2007

Phil Costelloe wrote:
> Jim Avery wrote:
>> I confess I haven't used these yet myself (probably ought to though).
>> The ones I would immediately pick are:
>>
>> check_oracle --tns <Oracle Sid or Hostname/IP address> and
>> check_oracle --tablespace <ORACLE_SID> <USER> <PASS> <TABLESPACE>
>>
>> I probably wouldn't bother with most of the others on the principle
>> that if I can't interrogate the tablespaces, I can't connect to the
>> databases either.  I'm not sure how the tablespace check would work
>> with auto-extending tablespaces if you use them.
>
> I'm curous about that myself. Anybody know?

I was too curious to wait. :)

In the version of check_oracle shipped with plugins 1.4.3 (and I suspect
later releases though I haven't checked), the tablespaces option will
report on the usage of currently allocated extents. This is the same
logic the Enterprise Manager GUI uses and the net effect for busy
tablespaces which are set to auto extend is to make them look like
they're permanently on the verge of being 100% full.

I've got some SQL that I run as a cron job that takes into account the
maximum possible size of the tablespace when it works out the fill
percentage, I'll see if I can work it into the check_oracle script. Does
anybody maintain it? I suspect it's orphaned at the moment.

--
Phil Costelloe
Foundation IT, Hermitage Berkshire RG18 9SE