useful oracle checks

Phil Costelloe philc at foundation-it.com
Wed Feb 28 15:18:34 CET 2007

Morris, Patrick wrote:
>>> I'm not sure how the tablespace check would work
>>> with auto-extending tablespaces if you use them.
>>
>> I'm curous about that myself. Anybody know?
>
> It doesn't work well. :)
>
> Because auto-extending tables tend to live n the edge of their
> available space, this check will almost always report the table is
> nearly full, making it pretty useless as an alerting tool.

I've just been looking at the Oracle check Perl scripts in the contrib
directory of the plugins distribution and it looks like check_oracle_tbs
does the Right Thing with regard to calculating free space.
check_oracle_instance.pl uses similar logic to the check_oracle shell
script and doesn't take into account the tablespace's extensibility;
check_ora_table_space.pl I'm not sure about, I couldn't decode the SQL
logic without a bit more investigation.

Of course all these require you to install the DBD and DBI::Oracle Perl
modules so it would still be nice to have a shell script that does the
right thing.

--
Phil Costelloe
Foundation IT, Hermitage Berkshire RG18 9SE