Sending a txt message as acknowledgement for event

Nagios Mail nagiosmail at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 20:09:42 CET 2007

Patrick ~

I just set this up myself, so I'll share some of the details on how I got it
working.

First off you'll need a way for the email's to reach the nagios inbox. In
our example I setup fetchmail on our CentOS box to check Exchange every 15
seconds for mail using POP3.

once you have that configured and mail is going into the inbox on your linux
machine for the nagios account, you'll need to configure procmail.
Now if your on a redhat system (or flavor) procmail is setup by default.
(Otherwise you may need to install/configure)
So you'll need to setup a .procmailrc file in the nagios users home
directory (or place a procmailrc file in /etc).

Procmail should be setup to kick off a script (that you'll need to write) to
process the incoming mail and if a problem is acknowledged, place an
acknowledgment in the nagios.cmd file.

Like I said, the first process in fixing this puzzle is getting mail to the
nagios server from an SMS device. Once there it should be pretty straight
forward.

Let me know if this makes sense.

Josh