check_proc on NRPE gives "System call sent warnings to stderr"

Roger Roger at NagiosWiki.com
Sat Dec 15 21:47:15 CET 2007

On Dec 15, 2007 11:13 AM, Paul Lathrop <paul at tertiusfamily.net> wrote:

> Roger,
>
> What kernel version are you running? When I was using Nagios on some
> rather old kernels, there was a kernel bug that made this happen after
> the system had been up for a certain amount of time. The easiest way
> to check for this is to reboot the machine and see if the message goes
> away.
>
> The fix for this was to upgrade our kernel. Since that wasn't an
> option for us at the time we settled for rebooting the machine every
> few months when this started happening. Inelegant, but it worked.

Thank you, Paul.  This makes sense, considering the fact that this is on
some really old RHEL boxes. I, like you, can't easily upgrade them while
they're in production.  I suppose that if the cluster (via Coyote Point) is
working ok, then traffic should be diverted to other boxes for the duration
of the bounce.

(fingers crossed!)