check_proc on NRPE gives "System call sent warnings to stderr"

Roger Roger at NagiosWiki.com
Sat Dec 15 22:00:54 CET 2007

On Dec 15, 2007 11:13 AM, Paul Lathrop <paul at tertiusfamily.net> wrote:

> Roger,
>
> What kernel version are you running? When I was using Nagios on some
> rather old kernels, there was a kernel bug that made this happen after
> the system had been up for a certain amount of time. The easiest way
> to check for this is to reboot the machine and see if the message goes
> away.

Actually, in a few case, I'm running a later kernel:

e.g.

uname -a --> 2.6.9-55.0.9.ELsmp #1 SMP Thu Sep 27 18:27:41 EDT 2007 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux

> The fix for this was to upgrade our kernel. Since that wasn't an
> option for us at the time we settled for rebooting the machine every
> few months when this started happening. Inelegant, but it worked.

I'll put in a ticket to reboot the machine off-hours and see how that
works..

Thanks again for your help, Paul. It helps point me in the right direction.