check_by_ssh

Peter Lauda plauda at csky.com
Mon Dec 10 18:37:34 CET 2007

I'm sure this has been addressed but I can't find any resolutions that seem
to work in my environment. My apologies in advance.

I am trying to use check_by_ssh to invoke remote system/service checks
rather than using nrpe. I have had great success with nrpe but I do not have
the authority to implement using nrpe because of the nature of the critical
services running on some of our machines and the absolute 24/7 requirement.
A high level of paranoia keeps nrpe out of the mix. So in order to use
nagios and remote service/system checks I need check_by_ssh.

I've set up a test command to run a remote check_load using check_by_ssh and
when I run it manually it works as expected. When it is run in the nagios
framework I get the "(No output!)" result.

There is no banner enabled on the client. The key exchange is working fine.
I even updated the check_by_ssh by getting the 1.4.10 plugin package this
morning.

Any input on what to look at or additional debug flags to set would be
greatly appreciated.