monitoring UPS

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Dec 11 09:49:34 CET 2007

Luis Fernando Lacayo wrote:
> Hi Everyone,

Hi.

This is the second time you've hijacked a thread. Please don't do that
again. It's extremely annoying when one views mailing lists in threaded
mode, not to mention it completely f*cks up the list archives.

> I was wondering if there is anyone out there in NAGIOS land that can
> help me with an snmp issue that I have.

There sure is. You'll get more help and a better over-all reception if
you follow the simple rules outlined in
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html though.

> I have to monitor 5 UPSes for our VOIP system.
>
> I want to monitor the following:
>
> when the UPS starts using the battery
> the battery charge Status, and report when it has less than 10% of the
> battery charge.
>
> I have the document with the MIBS, but I can not make sense ot tails out
> of it.

I usually do a simple snmpwalk toward the host in question. That usually
gives a lot more human-parseable output than the mibs ever have. Seeing
something such as "UPSBatteryPctCapacity = INTEGER: 100" makes things
quite readable, imo.

For UPS-specific stuff, google might have some answers.

> Any help will be appreciated.

I just gave you some. Now it's your turn to do some work and then
report your findings back here.

> thank you

You're welcome.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se