Nagios Scalability

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Aug 29 23:53:16 CEST 2007

I'm not a high-count site like that (~4,000 services) but just my $0.02.
--

Nagios-3 just entered beta status in the last 30 days. Chances are high
that not many sites, let alone sites with high host and service counts,

That being said, there have been many performance improvements for large
sites in v3 over v2. Many of them are documented at
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/largeinstalltweaks.html. The
three biggest in my mind are the parallelization of host checks, the
ability to batch submit passive results from a file and the fast startup
options.

Ethan maintains a user profile section on the site at
http://www.nagios.org/userprofiles. The top site, presumably running v2
and added recently purports to be monitoring 1,000,000 services with 20
nagios machines (~50,000/machine). #2 is at 90,000 services with 10
servers. You can browse the rest to see what there is...

--
Marc