Notification interval backoff?

Jeff Orr jorr at attributor.com
Wed Aug 29 20:46:55 CEST 2007

All,

I have been asked by my uppers to implement 'notification backoff' for Nagios monitoring. I.e. when a service goes HARD non-OK, the first notice is sent out, then the next after 30 minutes. After that, the next notice is sent in an hour. The next, in two. The next, in 4... up to daily notifications.

Is there a straight-forward way I can define a backoff order for notifications, or will I have to chain together a bunch of service escalations or somesuch? I'm only concerned with service notifications at the moment, as we get mostly those; host notifications should be sent early and often.

Thank you for your help, in advance.

--Jeff Orr
Attributor Corporation