Nagios Scalability

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Aug 29 23:43:13 CEST 2007

Mr D wrote:
> Greets
>
> I have an potential opportunity for a very large deployment for a
> network monitoring system. Currently the total number of units, i.e.
> PC's, servers, printers, routers etc.. is 87,000 and has a likelyhood
> of growing potentially more than 25% over the next 5 years. There are
> currently close to 250 "hubbed" sites, some have more units behind
> them, some less.
>
> There is obviously a majority of MS product from win98 to XP, (no
> Vista yet) involved but also Linux, Sun, Cisco, HP etc., yes I realize
> the etc can be a problem.
>
> First question: is Nagios 3 and up, adequate for a task of this size.
>>From my own experience with Nagios the answer would be yes, but
> potentially 100,000 or more units is an awful lot of units.

If you're going to deploy monitoring of a network of this magnitude,
do *not* use Nagios 3, which is just barely out of alpha-testing.
You'd shoot yourself in the foot immediately.

You'll need a distributed environment, and it's possible that not
even that will be enough. Sending the check-results upwards in a
hierarchy will still generate a *LOT* of traffic, so you'll probably
be better off making many smaller distributed installations. After
all, it's not as if there's a single guy or team that's responsible
for everything in the network anyways.

May I ask which network this is? Very few organizations in the world
have networks of that size, and I can't really imagine CIA, China or
Interpol letting you announce publicly what tool you're planning to
use in their environments ;-)
Unless you're going to monitor user PC's as well, ofcourse, which
is usually not worth the trouble.

On a side-note, I've developed a neb-module for distributed checking
which alleviates many of the resource bottlenecks of the traditional
way of doing distributed monitoring with Nagios.
The code is currently locked down pending lawyer scrutinization of
the GPL to see if we can ship it as closed source for some time
before we release it to the public (yes, sometimes it sucks coding
for money). It should suit your needs pretty well. Contact me
off-list if you're interested.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se