Nagios Scalability

Mr D theook at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 20:19:01 CEST 2007

Greets

I have an potential opportunity for a very large deployment for a
network monitoring system. Currently the total number of units, i.e.
PC's, servers, printers, routers etc.. is 87,000 and has a likelyhood
of growing potentially more than 25% over the next 5 years. There are
currently close to 250 "hubbed" sites, some have more units behind
them, some less.

There is obviously a majority of MS product from win98 to XP, (no
Vista yet) involved but also Linux, Sun, Cisco, HP etc., yes I realize
the etc can be a problem.

First question: is Nagios 3 and up, adequate for a task of this size.
>From my own experience with Nagios the answer would be yes, but
potentially 100,000 or more units is an awful lot of units.

If the answer to this is yes there will be more (lots more) questions
forthcoming, if not I appreciate your time.

The Coach