Opinion Sought... Essential Nagios 3rd PartyApps.

Thu Aug 16 20:13:03 CEST 2007

Hi Dimitry,

Yep.  NLG 2.0 release is code-named "Padlock" for this very reason!  The
main goal is purely on security, anything else I can get going will be a
bonus, and it will feature a complete security model.

In v2, you'll be able to create users and tag them to groups.  Users can
then be assigned to host- and/or service-groups, as well as
hosts/services themselves.  Users and individual groups will be able to
have different permission levels, and if a user is defined in a group,
but has explicit permissions on their username, the individual
permissions will override that of the group (the way I see it at the
moment, unless anyone has any objections / other ideas?)

As for how it links in with Nagios, I'm not sure yet whether to pick up
the contact group a user is in, or to leave NLG permissions completely
separate to Nagios?

In NLG 2, the view will also revolve around host/service groups as
opposed to the hosts/services themselves.  At the moment I'm thinking
something along the lines of (in the network browser):

- Network Status
--- Web servers (host group)
----- Web 01
----- Web 02
--- Mail servers (host group)
----- Mail 01
----- Mail 02
--- Web services (service group)
----- www.websiteone.com on Web 01
----- www.websiteone.com (user login) on Web 02
--- Mail services (service group)
----- SMTP server on Mail 01
----- IMAP server on Mail 01
----- IMAP server on Mail 02#

Thoughts on any of the above, anyone?

If you need anything quick in the meantime, NLG 1.0.6 features
custom-filters, so you can only include certain hosts in the filter view
filters.  This only works on the hostname set in Nagios, and each host
has to be explicitly set (i.e. it doesn't allow for regex's.)  This was
a quick-fix patch I put in for a user back in v1.0.2, and it became a
popular requested feature so I put it in the trunk for the 1.0.6 release.

Thanks,

Andy.