Opinion Sought... Essential Nagios 3rd Party Apps.

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Thu Aug 16 19:53:47 CEST 2007

On 16/08/07, Chris Stankaitis <chris.stankaitis at datawire.net> wrote:
> I would like some opinions of what the must have 3rd party apps are for
> nagios ...

The one I would always install is PNP
http://www.ederdrom.de/doku.php/nagios/pnp_en for graphing performance
information.  It's a doddle to install and use and doesn't require a
MySQL database (which could be a blessing or a curse depending on what
you want to do).

On larger installs, I'd definitely also install the Nagios Extended
Status Map NexSM http://nexsm.gridshield.net/Overview.html - I found
it fiddly to install but well worth it in the end.

For prettification, I always install the Nuvola theme which can be
found on http://nagiosexchange.org  Another advantage is that with
this theme it is easy to customise the Nagios menu.

NagVis is worth a look if you want some really neat dashboards.  I've
played with this but not used it in anger yet.
http://www.nagvis.org/doku.php  I found it slightly tricky to set up
as it requires MySQL and ndoutils, but once it's working it's very
easy to use.  I'm really just waiting for someone to ask me 'can you
do a dashboard for...' so I can show it working properly.

If you use Firefox, then NagiosChecker is worth a look for pop-up
alerts.  http://code.google.com/p/nagioschecker/ .

Another thing I've been playing with lately is the notes_url directive
for extended host and service information.  I've been using Nvu to
create help pages for systems and services so that when problems do
appear, people can see some of the information they need to get them
fixed.

If you only have time to look at one of these, I'd recommend PNP.

hth,

Jim