Working with [contact|host] groups and members

Morris, Patrick patrick.morris at hp.com
Thu Sep 28 15:46:46 CEST 2006

> The documentation clearly states that you can use either one
> of these methodes to assign membership of a group. So why is
> it that Nagios -
> forces- you to at least have one member in the group definition?

What version are you using?  The group does need to be defined
separately from the hosts, and it does need to have at least one member,
but (on the setups I work with, anyway) that member does *not* need to
be defined in the hostgroup definition.

For example, I have quite a few hostgroup definitions that look like
this, and they work fine, as long as at least one host is defined as a
member in its host definition:

define hostgroup {
        hostgroup_name  blade
        alias           Blade Servers