Working with [contact|host] groups and members

Thomas Sluyter nagios at kilala.nl
Thu Sep 28 15:55:46 CEST 2006

On 28 Sep, 2006, at 15:46, Morris, Patrick wrote:

>> The documentation clearly states that you can use either one
>> of these methodes to assign membership of a group. So why is
>> it that Nagios -forces- you to at least have one member in the
>> group definition?
>
> What version are you using?

As I mentioned earlier: version 2.5.

> The group does need to be defined separately from the hosts, and it
> does need to have at least one member,
> but (on the setups I work with, anyway) that member does *not* need
> to be defined in the hostgroup definition.

Remarkable. What you describe is exactly what I want, but in my case
it appears to complain about the fact that my "define hostgroup" is
lacking a "members" line. Also, the Nagios documentation has the
"members" line coloured red in the hostgroup config section,
indicating it a requirement for a HG definition.

Hmmm... I'll hammer on it some more. Maybe I need a larger hammer.
/me grabs a mallet.

Cheers!

Thomas