Working with [contact|host] groups and members

Thomas Sluyter nagios at kilala.nl
Thu Sep 28 11:54:23 CEST 2006

Hi all,

I've run into something that irks me, while working with contact and
host groups. Something that I hope you guys will know a way around.

I'm running version 2.5 by the by.

Membership of these groups can be defined in two locations:
* In the definition of the member itself, eg the host or the contact.
* In the definition of the group, eg the host group or the contact
group.

The documentation clearly states that you can use either one of these
methodes to assign membership of a group. So why is it that Nagios -
forces- you to at least have one member in the group definition?

In our case, I want to put -all- the group assignments in the member
definitions (due to the subscription model I'm using for my service
checks). I don't particularly feel like mucking about in the group
config, when all I should be doing is editing the member definition.

With the contact groups, this isn't too big a deal. I've made a dummy
account that is a member of each group, but who doesn't partake of
any notifications. Fine. Dandy... It works, but it's a kludge.

Nasty thing though is that it's not that easy with host groups. Fine,
I can make a dummy host that's a member of all of my host groups, but
in our case that would "subscribe" the dummy to all of the service
checks that I've defined. Not a fun thing, I assure you :)

So... Do you guys:
A) Know a way around the required "members" entry for both groups?
Doing away with it completely?
B) Know of a neat trick to work around the required "members" for the
host group definitions?

Cheers!

Thomas