interpreting plugin timeouts

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Sep 28 13:12:44 CEST 2006

Grzegorz Rumatowski wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I'm using Nagios 2.4 on FC5 and checking remote disk spaces on other
> machines with check_disk_remote -essh
>
> The problem is that sometimes I'm getting for example:
>
> Service: Disks MVNO Clst1
> Host: MVNO Cluster Server#1
> Address: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
> State: CRITICAL
>
> Date/Time: Thu Sept 28 05:33:56 CEST 2006
>
> Additional Info:
>
> (Service Check Timed Out)
>
> Is there any method, that nagios won't interpret plugin timeouts as
> CRITICAL? I'd like to get only WARNING.

Yes and no. Most plugins generate their own timeouts, as this is
considered the current best practice. As such, Nagios won't actually
kill the plugin, but it will exit gracefully with whatever hardcoded
state the plugin author felt would normally be the proper response and
exit-status. For most network-based service-checks, this is indeed the
CRITICAL state.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se