Net-SNMP and SNMP4Nagios

Max H. btmanmeh at verizon.net
Thu Oct 26 13:25:47 CEST 2006

Andreas Ericsson wrote:

> This is actually the preferred way of sending to mailinglists where
> non-subscribers are allowed to post, because the original poster would
> otherwise be cut out of the loop. As there's no way of telling if a
> poster *is* on this list (no, I don't know if it can be posted to
> without subscribing, and I can't be bothered with checking), the only
> sane way to make sure the original poster and everyone participating in
> a thread is to reply to all and hope that people on the list have taken
> the 3 minutes it takes to set up filters to delete duplicate messages
> *hint, hint*.
>
>> I apologize for being to quick to click send instead of taking a peek at
>> the To: fields. Is this working as designed on the Nagios list? Since
>> other lists I'm part of seem to do it the way I mentioned so that you
>> never worry about sending dups.
>>

> The "send-only-to-list-when-replying" option is really only useful if
> only subscribers can post to the list. I assume those other lists are of
> that kind.
>
> Hugo, chill out. Max, you did the right thing. If this list is
> subscriber only, then whoever set it up botched the job and need to fix
> it (although I'm sure SF would be perfectly capable of screwing it up
> and leaving it screwed for all eternity no matter how much grief it
> causes).

Hi Andreas,

After doing a bit of thinking and Googling, I did come across the
Reply-To munging debate. I found a nice link here explaining why not to
add Reply-To: <http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html>

After you read this, things do make sense as to why a list wouldn't add
a Reply-To header, but this comes with some other annoyances as well.
Even the author of the above link explains at the ends, that it
generally runs smooth but you should expect to receive a few e-mails
privately when not using Reply-To headers and it's basically something
you have to learn to deal with.

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but with that being said, I believe
that if you aren't going to use the Reply-To then you should be a bit
tolerant on receiving a private message for that simple reason. I
understand everyone is busy and doesn't want to receive duplicate
messages, but at the same time many people don't ever even bother to
look at e-mail headers. They just want to get a response back and not
have to worry about it.

Generally, I don't do this, but I got in a hurry doing way too many
things at the same time and didn't take the time to delete the extra
addresses on one or two e-mails, because I'm used to a few of my other
lists where I don't have to worry about it.

Again, Hugo I'm sorry for being a bit testy, but I hope this explains my
self a little more, and Andreas, thanks for your input! Can't we all
just get along. ;)

Regards,
Max