Net-SNMP and SNMP4Nagios

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Oct 26 10:33:23 CEST 2006

Max H. wrote:

> Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
>> On Wed, 25 Oct 2006, Max H. wrote:
>>> Justin Craig wrote:
>>
>> PLEASE. I read the mailinglist and do not like duplicate messages. So
>> address the mailinglist only.
>>

> SORRY, Hugo. Please chill. If when you click Reply it would actually
> reply to only nagios-users, then this wouldn't be a problem. For
> example, on most mailing lists, if I click Reply or Reply All I get the
> appropriate reply to filled in correctly to only the mailing list and no
> other addresses.
>
> I don't respond much on this list, and so I'm very used to my other
> lists automatically being good when it comes to the reply-tos. When you
> click a reply all on this, you get the original sender, you, and the
> list instead of just the list. If you only click reply, you get just the
> sender.

This is actually the preferred way of sending to mailinglists where
non-subscribers are allowed to post, because the original poster would
otherwise be cut out of the loop. As there's no way of telling if a
poster *is* on this list (no, I don't know if it can be posted to
without subscribing, and I can't be bothered with checking), the only
sane way to make sure the original poster and everyone participating in
a thread is to reply to all and hope that people on the list have taken
the 3 minutes it takes to set up filters to delete duplicate messages
*hint, hint*.

> I apologize for being to quick to click send instead of taking a peek at
> the To: fields. Is this working as designed on the Nagios list? Since
> other lists I'm part of seem to do it the way I mentioned so that you
> never worry about sending dups.

The "send-only-to-list-when-replying" option is really only useful if
only subscribers can post to the list. I assume those other lists are of
that kind.

Hugo, chill out. Max, you did the right thing. If this list is
subscriber only, then whoever set it up botched the job and need to fix
it (although I'm sure SF would be perfectly capable of screwing it up
and leaving it screwed for all eternity no matter how much grief it causes).

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se